One of the primary reasons why free texting apps have become so popular amongst smartphone users is because not only do they provide smartphone and tablet users the functionality to send text messages across the globe to any user that they have added in their phone directory, but these free texting apps also provide other features, such as sending multimedia type messages in the form of pictures, videos and audio notes. Let us have a look at the top 5 free texting apps for your smartphones to look into the pros and cons of each.
With over 500 million users sending a total of 700 million photos and 100 million videos every single day (WhatsApp blog), there is no question as to why Facebook wanted to acquire the free texting app for $19 billion.
• WhatsApp is a very resource friendly app and the free text messages sent across the app are sent to other users across the globe without experiencing any form of delay.
• The same thing can be said for multimedia items such as photos and audio notes, which are also sent to the recipients without experiencing any form of delay.
• In addition, users can also choose to form groups and send messages to a number of people rather than sending the same text separately.
• That’s not all, WhatsApp also includes a ‘message received’ notification, where a person sends another person a text message, the sent
message is denoted with a single tick mark, notifying the user that the person has received the text, but has not checked it yet. After the recipient checks the phone, and sees the message, the message is denoted with two tick marks.
Apart from WhatsApp’s amazing features, there are still some features not included that prevent it from being the perfect free texting app.
• Uploading videos to a single person or a group takes a very long time and at the end, the video may or may not be sent, depending on the stability of your internet connection.
• The maximum uploading size for any file is only 16 megabytes, something that will prevent users from sending large capacity files.
• Not only this, when sending a message in a group, the user does not get notified of a ‘double tick’, meaning he/she will not know whether or not the recipients in the group saw the message.
• Currently, WhatsApp is only available for smartphones and tablets and has not made its way to Desktop PCs.
With over 200 million registered, Viber happens to be the perfect rival for Skype. With its features rivalling WhatApp’s, Viber was not given justice when it was acquired for a price of $900 million by Ratuken, the online retailer company.
• Viber provides users with a free texting service as well as the functionality to send videos, and audio notes to the people present in your phone directory.
• Apart from this, the free texting app also offers free voice and video calling features, not only for smartphone users but also for Desktop Windows users.
• There are a wide range of emoticons that users can choose from and include them in their conversations and groups.
• Instead of a tick mark notification like WhatsApp, Viber has a ‘sent’ and ‘received’ message notification system.
• Multimedia messages cannot be larger than 16 MB, which will hold back users from sending large capacity files to their recipients.
• When sending messages to people present in a group, you cannot view whether the people present in the group received the messages or not.
• Voice and video calling sometimes suffers from lack of performance, which does not result in a good experience for the user.
• Some emoticons cannot be acquired for free and are subjected to a price.
The social networking giant’s messaging app has more than 200 million users registered along with more than 300 million users using the standalone app. With more than one billion monthly users using the social networking environment, it is safe to assume that Facebook Messenger is no doubt extremely popular.
• Users using the messenger app can send text messages, photos and videos to their recipients.
• If users do not have the image they want to send in their database, all they have to do is to press on the ‘image search’ option present in the app and select the image of their liking.
• When the message is received by the recipient, the notification appears as ‘seen’.
• There are a wide range of emoticons present in the Facebook Messenger app, which allows users to download any of their choosing and start sending them.
• Until recently, Facebook launched a voice calling feature, whose calling quality is outstanding.
• The file capacity has a maximum limit of 25 MB, which means that users will be limited from sending bigger sized files.
• Users can only send messages to those people who are present in their friends list.
• As for the voice calling feature, though its calling quality is outstanding, users can only call people who are in their Facebook contact list.
• People can only call the ones present in their Facebook contact list who are online on messenger.
• Very demanding application, especially for smartphones and tablets that comprise up of mediocre specifications.
As of January 2014, Tango has more than 150 million users. The unique feature about the Tango app is that it has started to host its own social games within its app. That’s not all. In June, Tango opened up to game developers in order to make the messaging app a destination to bring gamers together.
• No login or password required. Tango makes your account in mere seconds.
• The app automatically searches for people living in your area including your contacts through GPS.
• The app is running in the background so the user is notified of a call or a message.
• Since its less resource consuming, users can choose to keep the app running in the background.
• Long delays in voice and video calling.
• Uneven voice synchronization while making video calls.
Yello happens to be a new upcoming app over 25000 registered users already. In addition to the free texting feature included in this app, there are a number of other cool features that would want people to start using it.
• Feature to send multimedia such as pictures, audio and videos have been included.
• You can hold audio conferences i.e. talk with all of your friends at the same time.
• Yello users will be notified when the text has been received by the recipient.
• Wide range of emoticons to send to your friends and loved ones.
• Users can manage their account online on myyello.com and get access to the app’s special offers.
• A unique feature that the app has is cheap international calling. It allows users to call to different destinations at extremely reduced rates.
• Free credit is given on sign-up and top up credit is given to the user as soon as they join Yello.
• You can pay from your Yello smartphone app through master card/visa by accessing GOOGLE PLAY STORE for your Android phone, APP STORE for your iPhone or BLACKBERRY WORLD for your BLACKBERRY.
• The layout of the app is less appealing as compared to other apps.
• Calls and texts are free, only if the other people have Yello installed on their smartphones.
• Purchasing credit can only be done through PayPal. Since some countries do not have the option to purchase top up credit through PayPal, this will become a huge inconvenience.
After carefully sifting through dozens of free texting apps, we’ve been able to gather the apt information regarding the top 5. You can pick and choose what suits you best!
©2014 Yello. All right reserved